Social Work Education & Training

Educational Requirements

You must have a university degree to practice social work. A Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) requires four years of university study. An additional year of graduate study is required for a Master of Social Work (MSW) degree. If you have a non-social work undergraduate degree you must complete two years of study for your MSW degree. Completion of an MSW ensures better opportunities for advancement. Some organizations will require an MSW as their minimal educational requirement.

Canadian Schools of Social Work

A complete listing of Schools of Social Work in Canada can be found on the website of The Canadian Association for Social Work Education.

See some of our current job postings to gain an idea of the educational requirements currently being specified by organisations employing social workers.

*BCASW accepts paid advertisements of interest to social work professionals. BCASW does not endorse any of the products, events, opportunities, or services featured, and is not responsible for any claim(s) made in these advertisements.

Comments are closed.